There are billions of internet users all over the world, a goldmine for businesses in terms of customers. The goal is to effectively reach a large audience and turn them into paying clients. There are a plethora of strategies to achieve this including SEO.
Are you a beginner and want to know what is SEO?
SEO stands for Search Engine Optimization. Search Engine Optimization is a method of improving the search result rankings of a website on search engines such as Google, Bing, and Yahoo. SEO is based on the simple fact that the higher the position of the website on a search result page will fetch more web visitors from the enhanced visibility.
SEO has become an important marketing strategy for businesses regardless of the product or service offered. The main goal of SEO is to influence the search algorithms to list your website based on various factors.
On-Page SEO vs Technical SEO
On-page SEO is the optimization of the content and HTML source code of a web page to rank higher in the search results. Technical SEO deals with all the search engine requirements for improved crawling through the webpages.
On-Page SEO Benefits
Content is a major part of on-page SEO. Content should be relevant to the needs of the users and also be interesting. The content should be clear about the product or service offered. Keywords hold the solution for making content successful. Targeted keywords need to be included in the headline and throughout the body of the content. Thorough keyword research is required to determine the relevant keywords which appeal to search engines but are also relevant to the users.
Content needs more than keywords and good writing skills. There are four parts of HTML within your content to be properly optimized:
- Meta description containing relevant keywords.
- Subheadings are used to enable search engines to understand the important points in the content.
- Title tags enable search engines to determine what a page is about.
- Use of search engine friendly URLs for better crawling.
Other strategies of on-page SEO:
- Multimedia such as videos, images, infographics, and charts make a webpage more interesting and leads to higher engagement. Multimedia influences users to share and like the content of a webpage.
- Outbound links indicate the relevancy of the topic to search engines.
- Internal links lead the users to other articles and sections within the website, thereby enhancing engagements.
The main features of technical SEO are as follows:
- Mobile optimization is a major aspect of Technical SEO. The oft-repeated question is, Why is mobile SEO important? People are increasingly using their mobile phones to access the internet. It is absolutely necessary for your website to be mobile-friendly. Google offers a mobile-friendly test tool to check if your website works well on mobile phones.
- Website speed is an important SEO factor because slow websites cause people to leave. The loading speed of webpages can be increased by using simple templates, optimizing images, limiting the number of redirects and using a reputed web host.
- Designing an SEO friendly site architecture makes it easy for search engines to crawl your website. This is the most important task of technical SEO. Use correct HTTPS, make clear, concise, and user-friendly URL structures, and include a sitemap where all the sections of the website are listed.
Using both On-Site and Technical SEO in your bid to get higher rankings in search result pages of search engines.
Off-Page SEO refers to steps taken outside the domain of the website in order to provide more exposure to the website. Increased off-page SEO improves search result page rankings. Link building is an effective off-page SEO method. Link building uses external links from other websites directed to your website. Search engines can determine the value of a webpage based on the authority of these external sources. Thus, a link profile of a website is also an important SEO factor. Linking your website with social media sites and using social bookmarking are other strategies of off-page SEO.